I think a lot can be said and discussed about the 9-11 news watched in class. There are many concepts that are suddently exposed when tragedies like such take place. The tragedy, the action, brings a reaction, the same way it would happen in any other situation. Focusing on this event specifically, it could be said that the concept of identity was very present. While everyone tries looking for answers as an immediate reaction, shown in this case by how the news reporter would make assumptions intending to clarify the viewers' and his personal doubts, there is a lot of questioning that takes place within individuals affected by the event. With this in mind, I think that the concept of identity gave lots to reflect upon to those either from the US or the middle east. It is a very tense moment. I can imagine that they all felt forced in one way or another to take sides regarding the event, but I dont think it is as simple as relying on your rational thinking when there is so much judgment that takes place simultaneously. With this I mean that being from the middle east and/or sharing some connection with the terrorists (religion for instance), you could completely be in disagreement with such action and the supposed reasons behind it. Still, I can imagine that there must be some anger and feeling of impotence knowing that people around you may be jumping to conclusions about who you are as a person, relating you with the terrorists for simply sharing the same/similar roots. At the same time, many are conscious about the unfair and erroneous treatment done to others ("brothers & sisters"). Taking this into account, it can't be that simple to stand on the side of those who incorrectly judge those under your same troublesome condition. It kind of becomes a challenge about fighting wrong stereotypes and personal views. So, by watching the news about 9-11, I come to wonder to what extent is it fine to stand with and support those who unfairly qualify the innocent and look down at them, but who at the same time share your opinion on the matter?
Yasmin, good job here. this reflection is well done and demonstrates work towards a higher understanding of the ACTION/REACTION phenomenon at play here.
ResponderBorrar