miércoles, 8 de octubre de 2014

What kind of latino am I?

What kind of ________ am I?

When questioning myself about what kind of latino I am, I can just say I am a very special kind of latino. In fact, I feel like the latino part of me is just present due to where I was born and raised, but at the same time it is a very strong aspect of me. With this, I mean that even if I don't have an "ethnical" latino side, I feel in great part that I do belong to Chile, but don't consider myself very "latina". I feel like chilean, a chilean who had been quite influenced by several different cultures. Though I have always lived in Chile, and was born here, one side of my family is arabic, while the other side is greek. Since very young, my mother's side of my family have done a continuous job of getting me involved in the arabic world and their culture, telling me short phrases in their language, exposing me to traditional aspects of it as well. Simultaneously, my dad has been trying to expose my siblings and I to the greek culture, to its music and all of what comes with it, being something he is very proud of. With this in mind, I feel very proud of where I come from, but to the question about what kind of chilean I am, I could probably say that chilean ends up being my nationality. The different ethnic parts of me that make me up is something I can't ignore.
At the same time, living in Chile, I have been going to an international (american) school since the age of 3. Though I don't feel "american" at all, are are aspects of the american culture that do influence the kind of chilean I am. An example is the language. Sometimes, when I talk to my spanish speaking spanish, it happens that I take some time to think about a word I want to use, because I know it in english, but have to express it to them in spanish.
At the end, I consider myself chilean without a doubt, but a very special kind.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario